On April 6, 2023, the Biden administration has released a statement that outlines the key decisions and challenges surrounding the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan. This 12-page PDF covers the time period from when President Biden took office to the aftermath of the disastrous and chaotic withdrawal that was completed on August 31, 2021.
- Background and President Biden
- Decision to Leave
- Planning for the Withdrawal
- Warning about Potential Evacuation
- Triggering the Evacuation
- The Evacuation and the Attack at Abbey Gate
- Keeping our Promise to American Citizens and Afghan Partners
- Rebuilding Long-Term Capacity
- Putting the United States on Stronger Footing
U.S. Withdrawal from Afghanistan, The White House, April 6, 2023, PDF, 12 pages.
Photo: U.S. Marines from the Special Purpose Marine Air-Ground Task Force – Crisis Response Central Command provide security during the Kabul NEO on August 20, 2021. (Photo by Lance Cpl Nicholas Guevara).
This story was first published on April 7, 2023 by Afghan Report.